An Extensive Paddle Board Gear Checklist for all the Water-Sport Junkies Out There
Sandy beaches, clear blue waters, and a gentle breeze make your paddle boarding even more enjoyable. Nothing can stand between you and your paddle board gear. Or can it?
What could go wrong? Umm, the weather perhaps. But if you’re a water-sports junkie like me and you get your full-body exercise by paddling, you know “ain’t nobody got the time for that!”
Or so I’ve heard *wink-wink* So, river or sea, a rookie or super-savvy in stand up paddle boarding, you have to come prepared. Which is why I got you covered with the ultimate SUP gear checklist!
Essential SUP Gear
Through hot and cold, sun and wind, we go paddle boarding, and nothing can stop us, right? Well, unless we forget any of the following essential SUP gear. Then we have a problem!
So turn this into a checklist, print or save it on your phone, and paddle away my friend!
- Your reliable stand up paddle board
- SUP paddle
- SUP leash
- SUP fins (one or more as per need)
- Personal flotation device – PFD
- Pump if you’re using an inflatable paddle board
- Headlamp and/or flashlight (always carry if paddling after sundown)
- Rescue whistle
Warm weather SUP gear
- Clothes that dry quickly (not cotton)
- Rashguard (or any other sun-protective piece of clothing)
- Board shorts or a swimsuit
- Proper water shoes or sandals
- Sun-protective hat
Cold weather SUP gear
- Paddling gloves
- Neoprene top and shorts or a wetsuit
- Wool/synthetic cap
- Wool/synthetic socks
Whatever the weather, keep in mind that you are dressing for the water temperature rather than the air temperature and you will be safe.
Now, fellow paddlers, before I let you go on your board paddling adventures, there are few more accessories to take with you.
Totally optional, but I wanna make your paddling experience as enjoyable as possible, especially if you’re going on a paddling weekend getaway and you’re camping along the way. So here’s the last list.
Optional SUP gear
- Water-resistant sunscreen
- First-aid kit
- SUP carry strap
- SUP transport cart
- A waist pack for a full water bottle
- Calorie-dense food to keep you going without filling your stomach
- Some amount of cash just in case
- Cellphone-protective bag
- Camera and camera mount with proper waterproof casing
- Two-way radios
- Maps of the place you’re paddling in
- Sleeping bags and a tent
A wise man once said:
“Stand-up Paddle Boarding is like walking on water, only better”
Well, I don’t know who said it, but if he’s paddling, he has to be wise, right?
Anyways my fellow paddlers, do not forget to create a hard and digital copy of these paddle board gear lists and to make your experience even better, take good care of your paddling boards because they don’t say “You’re only as good as your equipment is”, for nothing.
Oh, and remember to bring the most important thing with you, a positive attitude!
In case I have missed something, please feel free to leave a comment below. I’d love to hear what all you board paddlers take to make your water adventures great, after all, sharing is caring!
Don’t forget to look for more board paddling experiences, tips&tricks as well as the best paddle board gear on our Facebook and Instagram accounts.
Happy Board Paddling!